Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What the media doesn't show

Within the past couple of weeks, Geico has been running a a commercial with the comedic twist by saying, "everything on the internet is true". Although many people seem to brush this off and don't think much into it; in my mind, Geico is brining up a pretty big issue even if they mean to or not.

Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings superstar running back, was given some terrible news with in the past couple week due to the death of his son; who was killed by Peterson's stepdad. This really does sicken me to even have to hear about this as no one deserves to suffer like this child. But after watching an interview, Peterson didn't seem upset and he didn't manage to shed a tear throughout the whole issue so I decided to look into it more

The media made it out to sound like a terrible situation, but don't get me wrong it is. The only problem I had with the whole situation was the fairly significant detail that almost every single news station failed to report on. The first time Peterson met this child was in the hospital only days before the child passed. I personally think its unfair for the media to not include crucial details to any news story because it changes the entire bias from the person watching or reading about the event. 

News stations have been doing this for a long time and it doesn't fully show the issue at hand in many different examples. After hearing of this situation, I, like many other people across the world was stunned to hear that someone would hurt a child to the point of death and I felt extremely bad for Adrian Peterson and his family. My mindset changed when I had to do my own research to understand all the facts. When a news station/newspaper/radio show ect. doesn't include details, people are led to believe the wrong things very quickly, just like the "everything on the internet is true" mindset. Im not going to go as far as saying that it should be illegal to give false information but these news outlets are lying to their viewers directly.


The question I propose is as follows: Why isn't the media getting enough negative feedback when the fail to accurately report on a story? And/Or, Have you ever noticed the media present a story that didn't have all the facts straight?

2 comments:

Billy M said...

Holy crap. That actually shocked me to hear that. The story is marginally different with that detail.

It is absolutely horrible that this kid had to suffer like that, but you can't pretend it would have received this amount of media attention if he was not related to Peterson.

I think they don't get enough negative feedback about these types of things because people don't know. I didn't know about that detail until I read it in your blog.

It's easy to read a news story from a reputable source and not expect any bias or embellishing.

S. Bolos said...

Hi will,

How would you answer your own question? That seems a bit more interesting than just expressing outrage. Or explore this: what do you believe the role of a free press/media is in a modern democracy?

BTW, I had a bit of difficulty following the story you related. Try to be a bit more succinct or find a way to express the narrative more simply.